What is Lymphatic Drainage Massage (LDM)?
The Lymphatic System is the second circulatory system otherwise known as the body’s waste disposal system. It has a vital role in the body by regulating the immune system which protects the body against infection and the development of diseases such as cancer. It is responsible for the destruction and elimination of the metabolic wastes, excess water, toxins, bacteria, large protein molecules and foreign substances from the connective tissue. If the pathways become congested, blocked or damaged then fluid and toxins can build up and eventually cell pathology may begin. Cellular oxygenation and nourishment is reduced, as is waste elimination. Toxins eventually penetrate the cells and may create the symptoms of chronic disease.
What does it do?
LDM is a non-invasive deeply relaxing specialised therapy specifically designed for the lymphatic system. It is a gentle rhythmical flowing treatment in which the skin is stretched in the direction of lymph flow.
Lymphatic Drainage can be used to treat a wide range of medical and non-medical conditions to great effect such as:-
- Surgery, before all types of non-cancer related surgery, after all types of surgery
- Glandular Fever (Epstein Barr Virus), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Pregnancy – pre & post pregnancy, swollen legs, ankles & hands. It is important to note that sudden swelling of the feet, ankles, hands and face indicate a more serious condition called pre-eclampsia – symptoms include Hyper-tension (high blood pressure) and Proteinurea (protein in the urine) which should be picked up by your G.P. or midwife during your antenatal appointments.
- Allergies, Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rheumatism, Acne & other skin conditions.
- Cellulite, Stretch Marks and Old Scars
- Immune Deficiencies (recurring infections: colds, chest, ear etc.)
- Acute Injuries (fractures, sprains and accident trauma)
- Wounds & Burns, Sinusitis, Puffy Eyes
- Constipation & other Digestive Disorders
- It is also a very successful beauty treatment for the face, improving the appearance of the skin by enhancing texture and reducing puffiness. It helps rejuvenate collagen fibres and slows the ageing process.