The origins of Kombucha have become lost in the mists of time. It is thought to have originated in the Far East, probably China, and has been consumed there for at least two thousand years, and was known as "The Tea of Immortality".
What is Kombucha Tea?
Kombucha is a living health drink made by fermenting tea and sugar with the Kombucha culture. The result can taste like something between sparkling apple cider and champagne, depending on what kind of tea you use. It's not what you'd imagine fermented tea to taste like.
The Kombucha culture looks like a beige or white rubbery pancake. It's often called a 'scoby' which stands for 'symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts’. The culture is placed in sweetened black or green tea and turns a bowl full of sweet tea into a bowl full of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and health-giving organic acids.
As the Kombucha culture digests the sugar it produces a range of organic acids like glucuronic acid, gluconic acid, lactic acid, acetic acid, butyric acid, malic acid and usnic acid; vitamins, particularly B vitamins and vitamin C; as well as amino acids, enzymes. And of course there are all the benefits of the probiotic microorganisms themselves.
What does it do?
- Fights cancer with glucaric acid
- Strengthens immune system with anti-oxidants
- Weight loss with acetic acid polyphenols
- Eases joint pain and helps prevent arthritis with glucosamines
- Detoxifies the body with gluconic acid & probiotics
- Boosts energy with enzymes and B vitamins
- Helps the digestive system with probiotics
- Alkalises the body and balances internal pH
- Lowers glucose levels and prevents sugar spikes from eating
- Theanine present in Kombucha helps ease stress by increasing serotonin
Start with a ¼ glass, up to 3 times a day and work up from there. The reason it is best to start slowly, is that you may experience some mild detox symptoms intially as the Kombucha gets to work getting your gut bacteria back into balance.
Links to find out more:
Click here to download our info sheet on Kombucha
Why have a fizzy drink with aspartame and caramel colouring when you can have a drink rich in B vitamins and probiotic bacteria that helps to heal your gut and build your immunity? Look for it in fridge section of your favourite health store, at our Clinic in Lonehill or consider getting your own SCOBY and make your own at home (e-mail me if you want the recipe).
- Joint Care,
- Aids digestion and Gut Health,
- Rich in Vitamins and Enzymes,
- Immune Booster,
- Increases metabolism & PMS Relieve
Raw Kombucha (Water, Tea, Sugar, and Kombucha Culture fermented in purified water) combined with fresh fruit juice for additional flavours. Before you panic about the sugar, remember that the fermentation process ensures the sugar is broken down and transformed into acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and carbon dioxide (which make the delicious fizz!)
Size - 500ml Bottle